The Mumbles Lifeboat Station
The Mumbles is a key station in the network of 236 stations covering 19,000 miles of coastline. The building of the new boathouse and slipway is being undertaken as part of a major programme of works associated with the introduction of the new Tamar class of fast - 25 knot - all weather lifeboats.
There have been lifeboats stationed at The Mumbles for over 175 years. During this time, more than 800 lives have been saved and many more people rescued - over 400 in the last 5 years alone. Originally known as 'Swansea', the station was founded in 1835, taken over by the RNLI in 1863 and renamed 'The Mumbles' in 1904.
There have been many notable and heroic rescues resulting in the award of RNLI Gallantry Medals, including the highest award of all - a Gold Medal to Coxwain William Gammon for the service on 11 October 1944 to the Canadian frigate Cherbogue.
The station's history has not been without tragedy. Lifeboats have capsized and brave crew members have been lost on three occasions: in 1883 the original Wolverhampton was lost with four of her crew while on service to the German barque Admiral Prinz Adalbert, in 1903 the James Stevens capsized at the entrance to Port Talbot harbour while returning from service to the steamer Christina with the loss of 6 of her crew of 14: and on 23 April 1947. the Watson class The Edward, Prince of Wales was lost with all 8 hands while attempting to rescue the crew of 39 from the liberty ship Samtamper - a loss of 47 lives in one night, including Gold Medal awardee Coxwain William Gammon, in memory of whom the replacement lifeboat was named.
Contact Information: email email@example.com